Pre-drywall meeting complete

We had our pre-drywall meeting today with Aaron our PM. The meeting started off addressing the list put together by our inspector. I can happily say that everything on the list will be addressed. We're  still trying to figure out relocating a light switch near the garage entry.

I readdressed the issue with the kitchen sink, I really really really hate the kitchen sink NVHomes includes in their homes. I'm not sure who makes the design decisions but this is by far the worst sink I've ever seen. I basically begged Aaron for an alternative and finding some way to provide my own sink to the granite fabricator. He basically said their were no options, I'm super annoyed but I can't blame the guy cause he's simply doing his job. :(

So going forward it looks like insulation will be going in this weekend. We can expect drywall to start next week. Aaron provided us an estimated settlement date of Aug 24-26 so hopefully that happens.

Tip: Make sure to document everything before drywall goes up in your home. We took a million photos of the plumbing, wiring, vents and anything else that may look important. I also took videos on my iPhone as I walk through the house.


1. Repair/Replace damaged lip on basement tub at outside corner at drain end

There will be a fiber glass repair to the chipped lip on the tub.

2. Verify size and location of hole cut in floor trusses above double window complies w/ truss manufacturers specification. (edge of hole is about 4'-0" from bearing and more than 12" wide.)

There will be an engineered repair to the floor truss

3. Please discuss w/ buyer options to relocate double wall plate on furnace room wall.

This is still up in the air, the electrician will try to move the outlet closer to the staircase. We would like to place the new locker on this wall.

4. Install missing vent fan in basement bath

Complete.

5. Nail plates on either side of stand pipe in pantry

Complete

6. Patch hole in pantry floor

Will patch the hole

7. Complete ducts and registers to hall bath and laundry

This will be complete

8. Remove rigid duct from above

Compete

9. Add vinyl liner to both Master bath shower seats to protect OSB seat

This will be done.

Comments

  1. Awesome news! Glad your PM is addressing your items. I agree, there are just some things we WISH they would just keep...including the toilets! LOL

    You are right on with documenting everything before the drywall goes up. We have used our documented pictures and video when adding/removing things and it really does help to know where to hammer or drill.

    This weather is really crazy, but I will surely keep my fingers crossed for your delivery date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for the toilets either, do they at least function well? On the positive side, upgrading a toilet is fairly easy.

      Delete
    2. HAHA! Well there are mixed reviews on the toilet. We are still unsure if it's the toilet or the water pressure in some homes. For us, they are OK, but we have to hold down the handle a little longer for more water. "They saaaaay" that's because they are eco toilets buuut I'm not too sure. We will be switching at least one out.

      Delete
  2. So we just had our pre drywall meeting with our SA and our meeting at the design center. I expressed my dismay with the kitchen sink, and how it's the one thing that we won't be able to swap out post-construction, and asked them to please do something about it. I bake a ton, and I would not be able to wash any of my baking trays or large bowls in that horrible sink.
    My SA checked and told me that they can swap out the sink with a divider with a sink with no divider. It's not exactly farmstyle, but still tons better than the previous option. I'm sad for you guys that they couldn't make it work, you definitely should have been offered that option at the very least. I think it will be $1000 extra and my husband definitely gave me the side eye, but I don't care. I just know I will never be happy with that sink.

    Re: the toilets. We owned a new build in California that we bought in 2008, and the toilets were absolute trash. We hated them, and over the course of five years, had to replace them ALL. And we replaced them with high rated, inexpensive $100 toilets from Home Depot and they worked way better! How much are these builders paying for these horrible toilets, 50 cents? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome news, I've been asking from day 1 and they kept saying it can't be done. I'm happy your sr figured it out but I'm pissed off at mine for not finding a way. With that being said, I don't know if I would pay $1000 for a sink. Did they say why it was so much? I'm curious to see how the toilets will perform, good thing it's an easy upgrade.

      Delete
  3. I was wrong about the cost of the sink, it was a $450 upgrade not $1000. :-) Still, it is an option that they should definitely make available to all buyers. I had to really push for it, the sales rep kept leaving it out of the paperwork, and I finally had to get aggressive about it.
    Toilets are definitely an EASY upgrade if you're so inclined to do it. My husband and I are the least handy people on the planet, and we were able to swap out one on our own. The only reason why I would pay a handyman to install is because we were really sloppy when it came to caulking, there's a bit of skill needed there and we lacked it. But even the handyman charged us only about $50 in labor to replace the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $450 is not bad for that request! I am sure you had to fight for it! LOL Do you have a blog that I can follow? I would love to see your progress!

      Delete
    2. I agree $450 is a lot more reasonable but it really should be a standard option. I had to be pushy a few times but I tried to do it with a smile. You want keep your SR on your side. It's a shame these builders can't be more flexible for something as simple as a sink. Hope you do start a blog, there is nothing out there for your model. Have you moved to the east coast yet?

      Delete
    3. We just made it to the East Coast last week and are living in a hotel until we close on the house in September. (Boo!) I have a blog, but I have it set to private because I really had nothing to add to it, since I wasn't around to take pictures of the process. Now that we're here and we've picked out all of our finishes, I'm hoping to have it up and running with some content in a few days. Not many blogs or much info for the NVHomes buyers, so I definitely want to contribute if I can.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts