Our Failed Contract w/ Ryland Homes Brickyard Station

So the other community that we strongly considered is the Ryland Homes Brickyard Station in Beltsville MD. We went to see this community immediately after our initial visit at Greenbelt, MD. We became interested in their Carbondale Urban model which featured a roof top terrance. It was below budget and the builder was including 15k closing and another 15k in options. Even though we didn't like it as much as the Andrew Carnegie townhouse, it met our needs and was priced right. After several visits and negotiations for additional incentives with the builder we decided to sign a contract. We were truly excited to be taking this step and were making all type of plans for the house.



During one of our meetings with the sales rep she mentioned the site was a former brickyard, hence the name of the development. Jokingly I said to her, "oh there aren't any chemicals in the ground right? She then says "Well it was a former brickyard". Then I asked her if they ever did an environmental impact report for the site. She hesitantly said they did and could get it to me. At that point I thought it probably was no big deal because how hazardous could bricks be. So we never get this report and I basically forget to ask again. Fast forward -- On the day we sign the contract and hand over our deposit I remember the report and ask that she send it to us immediately.

BUYER BEWARE
Under MD law you have 3 days to back out of a contract which would entitle you to a full refund. So I finally get the report  and on day 3 I decided to take the time to read this report. Apparently the soil on the site was contaminated by cancer causing chemicals from these in ground storage containers of hazardous chemicals used to make bricks. There was a removal done of the contaminated soil but it all couldn't be removed. The solution was to place 2ft of clean soil over the site. The report couldn't guarantee this contaminated soil could not resurface. We were not willing to take that kind of risk with our health or have that type of doubt in our minds if we or our dog got cancer. We've heard the horror stories and its usually hard to prove these thing. So with much disappointment we call our sales rep to cancel the contract. (It took over 2 months to get back our deposit after constant calling)

I changed my mind on reviewing this community even though there is a lot of upside such as the Marc, proximity to the beltway, ICC and future site of the Konterra shopping plaza . Unfortunately in our opinion we simply can not recommend Brickyard Station especially for those with children. Please feel free to ask any questions about the community and models.


Comments

  1. What a bummer but kudos to you for requesting and reading the report before it was too late! I know you really enjoyed being in DC around everything, buuuuttt you could always consider good ole' VA! LOL (No one ever want to move out yonder)

    I will be following your progress on your new search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eboni,

    We actually bought an Andrew Carnegie at Beechtree. Im just sharing stories of our process. I will post about that decision next and photos of all the fun selections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see your selections!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I hope this message gets to you. But my fiance and I were actually looking at Brickyard station and wanted to get more info on the environmental report?

    FYI, I was clicking through on your site and if I'm not mistaken you guys lived at PPT? I also owned, so I would love to touch base to see how you guys went through the process of selling and moving, which is the position I would be in shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rafael,
      Small world, we do live at PPT. I'd be happy to share the environmental impact report. I don't think Brickyard is a bad place, but its one of those things you should know about before investing. Please email us directly at odespagne@gmail.com so we can connect privately.

      Delete
    2. Hi Owen-

      I sure wished something like this would have been posted when I was purchasing my home at Brick Yard Station. I purchased my home in July 2014 and my agent and I just assumed it was safe since it was being built from the ground up. I had a condo in DC that mentally and physically unhealthy so I wanted a new build. Thanks for sharing any way. I will use it a guide when purchasing my next home for retirement.

      Delete
    3. Its definitely something they should disclose openly instead of sweeping it under the rug. Hopefully it will stay a non issue because it is a good location especially w/ Konterra on the way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts